Autumn or fall is often associated with midlife. Obviously, it’s a metaphor I’ve used in the tagline and header of my blog. Fall is my favorite season and now that it correlates with my stage in life, it has taken on special significance. It’s a time of ripening, harvesting, dispersing, celebrating, welcoming, giving thanks and remembering. I’m also more acutely aware of the impermanence and mystery of life.
The trees in northern Indiana will reach their peak brilliance within a couple of weeks. This year, I’ve been marveling at the process in which leaves change colors. When gazing at individual trees, I have noticed the random way the pigments appear. For some it’s the very top of the tree, while for others it’s the outer edges or even the low hanging branches.
It’s intriguing how the leaves are now revealing their true colors. Their appearance is no longer masked by the presence of chlorophyll.
I, too, am transforming into a bolder and more confident version of myself. In other words, I’m showing my true colors in this the autumn of my life.
10 Things Autumn / Fall
1. Marching band season – In Indiana, this is a big deal! My son participated in our school’s marching band for four years. Although I do not miss the every Saturday commitment, I do miss watching the evolution of the competition show.
2. Soup - Chicken Noodle, Vegetable Beef, White Chicken Chili and more
3. Apple cider - made locally
4. Scarves - square, rectangular, triangular or infinity
5. Fall TV season – NCIS and Big Bang Theory
6. Fall foliage
7. Leg shaving season is over - Thank Maxine for this one!
8. Candy corn and peanuts – It doesn’t feel right to eat these out-of-season!
9. Ground cherries
10. Time to begin obsessing over our annual holiday letter - I have the idea and my daughter is creating a framework to get it started. Stay tuned!
What captivates your attention each fall? Link up or add your own in the comments.