I am a seasoned woman. In less than two years, I will celebrate my 50th birthday. It should go without saying, that I’ve accumulated a lot of life experience over the years. I’ve acquired much wisdom by making mistakes, by reading, by watching Oprah, by listening to stories, by observation and by seeking advice…often times, from other women.
Throughout my adult life, I’ve surrounded myself with wise women. I’ve worked, worshiped, conversed, laughed and cried with them. They have mentored and empowered me.
I believe all women should be so blessed. And, I’m not alone! Back in 2006, Madeleine Albright, Former Secretary of State and Ambassador to the United Nations, stated, “There is a special place in hell for women who don’t help other women.”
We need other women in our lives. Women need to help other women.
So as to escape the eternal flames, here’s what wisdom I wish to impart to other women:
10 Things Every Woman Should Know
1. Never underestimate the restorative/healing properties of the sun, sand and surf. (This assumes a minimum of SPF 30 protection unless you want your skin to age prematurely!)
2. Know your lady parts and the importance of annual gynecological exams.
3. Love your gray/white/silver hair! It’s a natural sign of wisdom!
4. It’s OK to eat peanut butter straight from the jar and to consume chocolate daily.
5. Sex is for your enjoyment as well as your partner’s.
6. Read. Think critically (especially when celebrities contradict scientific evidence).
7. Have the ability to support yourself financially.
8. Own a passport and travel outside your country of origin.
9. Nourish your creativity.
10. Your value as a woman has nothing to do with your marital status or whether you procreate. Your value as a woman has nothing to do with your body shape or clothing size.
What words of wisdom would you add?